[Swiftwater Gazette] TOP MUSLIM SCHOLAR: STOP PRETENDING ISLAM, VIOLENCE NOT LINKED

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Sat Sep 9 10:42:57 EDT 2017

TOPMUSLIM SCHOLAR: STOP PRETENDING ISLAM, VIOLENCE NOT LINKED https://time.com/4930742/islam-terrorism-islamophobia-violence/?utm_campaign=time&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=time_socialflow_twitter
“AmongIndonesia’s most influential Islamic leaders is Yahya Cholil Staquf
“Westernpoliticians should stop pretending that extremism and terrorism havenothing to do with Islam. There is a clear relationship between fundamentalism, terrorism, and the basic assumptions of Islamicorthodoxy. So long as we lack consensus regarding thismatter, we cannot gain victory over fundamentalist violence withinIslam.
“RadicalIslamic movements are nothing new. They’ve appeared again and againthroughout our own history in Indonesia. The West must stopascribing any and all discussion of these issues to “Islamophobia.”Or do people want to accuse me — an Islamic scholar — of being anIslamophobe too?
“Withinthe classical tradition, the relationship between Muslims andnon-Muslims is assumed to be one of segregation and enmity. Perhapsthere were reasons for this during the Middle Ages, when the tenetsof Islamic orthodoxy were established, but in today’s world such adoctrine is unreasonable. To the extent that Muslims adhere tothis view of Islam, it renders them incapable of living harmoniouslyand peacefully within the multi-cultural, multi-religious societiesof the 21st century.
“Withinthe Islamic tradition, the state is a single, universal entity thatunites all Muslims under the rule of one man who leads them inopposition to, and conflict with, the non-Muslim world.
“ISIS’sgoal of establishing a global caliphate stands squarely within theorthodox Islamic tradition. But we live in a world of nation-states.Any attempt to create a unified Islamic state in the 21st century canonly lead to chaos and violence ... Many Muslims assume there is anestablished and immutable set of Islamic laws, which are oftendescribed as shariah. This assumption is in line with Islamictradition, but it of course leads to serious conflict with the legalsystem that exists in secular nation-states.
“Any[fundamentalist] view of Islam positing the traditional norms ofIslamic jurisprudence as absolute [should] be rejected out of hand asfalse. State laws [should] have precedence.
“TheWest cannot force Muslims to adopt a moderate interpretation ofIslam. But Western politicians should stop telling us thatfundamentalism and violence have nothing to do with traditionalIslam. That is simply wrong.