[Swiftwater Gazette] The beginning of the Fusion GPS story

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Sat Oct 28 16:03:53 EDT 2017

It is alleged that a Republican paid for the Fusion GPS story.  Here how the first dossier was paid for:
FusionGPS and the Washington Free BeaconAnote to our readers
BY:Matthew Continetti and Michael Goldfarbhttp://freebeacon.com/uncategorized/fusion-gps-washington-free-beacon/October27, 2017

Sinceits launch in February of 2012, the Washington Free Beacon hasretained third party firms to conduct research on many individualsand institutions of interest to us and our readers. In that capacity,during the 2016 election cycle we retained Fusion GPS to provideresearch on multiple candidates in the Republican presidentialprimary, just as we retained other firms to assist in our researchinto Hillary Clinton. All of the work that Fusion GPS provided to the Free Beacon was based on public sources, and none of the work productthat the Free Beacon received appears in the Steele dossier. The FreeBeacon had no knowledge of or connection to the Steele dossier, didnot pay for the dossier, and never had contact with, knowledge of, orprovided payment for any work performed by Christopher Steele. Nordid we have any knowledge of the relationship between Fusion GPS andthe Democratic National Committee, Perkins Coie, and the Clintoncampaign.
Representativesof the Free Beacon approached the House Intelligence Committee todayand offered to answer what questions we can in their ongoing probe ofFusion GPS and the Steele dossier. But to be clear: We stand by ourreporting, and we do not apologize for our methods. We consider itour duty to report verifiable information, not falsehoods or slander,and we believe that commitment has been well demonstrated by thequality of the journalism that we produce. The First Amendment guarantees our right to engage in news-gathering as we see fit, andwe intend to continue doing just that as we have since the day welaunched this project.
MatthewContinettiEditorin Chief
MichaelGoldfarbChairman