[Swiftwater Gazette] Red America

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Wed Oct 25 07:47:08 EDT 2017

RedAmerica by Robert Hallhttp://tartanmarine.blogspot.com/2017/10/red-america.html  Thesetwo related articles–the first, by Ken Stern, clearly inspired the second–bothlook at the forces tearing us apart politically.  Stern has clearly found there is a lot tolike about red America during his year long venture to the other side.  Stern has also figured out that the bias isreal; he even has an explanation for why it exists.  Sternhas a book about his time in redAmerica coming out in the next few weeks. No doubt it will ruffle many feathers on both sides of the great dividewhich is probably a good thing.)  I urgeyou to read both these articles.  Thelinks may not be live.  Ron P.  FormerNPR CEO opens up about liberal media  http://nypost.com/2017/10/21/the-other-half-of-america-that-the-liberal-media-doesnt-cover/  Excerptby Robert Hall:   Thismay seem like an unusual admission from someone who once ran NPR, but it isborne of recent experience.  Spurred by afear that red and blue America were drifting irrevocably apart, I decided toventure out from my overwhelmingly Democratic neighborhood and engageRepublicans where they live, work, and pray. For an entire year, I embedded myself with the other side, standing inpit row at a NASCAR race, hanging out at Tea Party meetings and sitting in onSteve Bannon’s radio show.  I found anAmerica far different from the one depicted in the press and imagined bypresidents (“cling to guns or religion”) and presidential candidates (“basketof deplorables”) alike.*LookWhat We Can Learn When We Venture Out into Red America!  http://www.nationalreview.com/morning-jolt/453035/ken-stern-npr-red-america-discovery?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=171024_Jolt&utm_term=Jolt  Excerptby Robert Hall:  Journalismrequires judgment. If you pick up a newspaper (pardon my anachronisticexamples) and everything that’son the front page seems boring, irrelevant, andnot that important to you, you probably won’t buy it or read it. Journalistsand editors need to have good acumen for what’s important in the lives of theiraudience and a sense of how to balance what you need to read and what you wantto read. We all have a sense of how the world works, and those of us who followpolitics tend to develop strong, even intense beliefs of how things are and howthey ought to be. Revising those beliefs is a slow and difficult process. TheWashington Post’s health-care correspondent dismissed the trial of abortionistKermit Gosnell as a “local crime story.” A Democratic senator is currently ontrial in corruption, not far from the media capital of the country, withallegations of private jets ferrying the senator to party with gorgeoussupermodels at lush tropical resorts and $100 million stolen from Medicare to pay for the lavish lifestyle and fill campaign coffers . . . and it’s gottenintermittent coverage at best. A longtime Democratic staffer was arrested bythe FBI as he attempted to flee to Pakistan, wiping his phone of all data hoursearlier. Why do reporters in the national news media find these stories . . .not quite as compelling as conservative journalism institutions? A prettyplausible theory is that living and working among so many other like-mindedleft-of-center people leaves them with an inaccurate perception of how the world actually works. In their minds, abortionists are dedicated medical professionals who risk death threats to provide vital serves to women, notmonsters. Democratic senators and their staffers are good people, dedicated,principled, and law-abiding. Cases that contradict these beliefs areinconsequential exceptions, and not worthy of extended public attention.Postedby TartanMarine at 7:03 PM