[Swiftwater Gazette] The Why of Memorial Day in todays world

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Wed May 31 11:13:39 EDT 2017

MemorialDay and the conquest of Constantinople
https://www.jihadwatch.org/2017/05/memorial-day-and-the-conquest-of-constantinople
Excerptby Robert Hall[http://tartanmarine.blogspot.com/2017/05/memorial-day-and-conquest-of.html]
 Aswe remember, with a debt of gratitude we can never repay, those whohave died to keep us free, let us also remember what the consequenceswill be if we lose this great defense against jihad that the freeworld isn’t even seriously fighting. Today is May 29, theanniversary of the Muslim conquest of Constantinople, which tookplace on May 29, 1453.
Itis useful, in our comfortable complacency and general lack of any historical memory at all, and overarching concern to avoid“Islamophobia,” to recall what happened when the Muslims enteredthe great city.
HistorianSteven Runciman notes that the Muslim soldiers “slew everyone thatthey met in the streets, men, women, and children withoutdiscrimination. The blood ran in rivers down the steep streets fromthe heights of Petra toward the Golden Horn. But soon the lust forslaughter was assuaged. The soldiers realized that captives andprecious objects would bring them greater profit.” (The Fall ofConstantinople 1453, Cambridge University Press, 1965, p. 145.)