[Swiftwater Gazette] The humor of a Scotsman getting lost

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Wed May 3 10:49:58 EDT 2017

TheBagpiper
Timeis like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flowthat has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life. Asa bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeraldirector to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had nofamily or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery inthe Nova Scotia back country.
AsI was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being atypical man, I didn't stop for directions.Ifinally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggersand crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologizedto the men for being late.
Iwent to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid wasalready in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.
Theworkers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I playedout my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. Iplayed like I've never played before for this homeless man.
Andas I played "Amazing Grace", the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed upmy bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head was hung low, myheart was full.
AsI opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "Inever seen anything like that before, and I've been putting in septictanks for twenty years."