[Swiftwater Gazette] Toronto's stairway's real cost

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Thu Jul 20 07:50:30 EDT 2017

Toronto'sBureaucratic Costs
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toronto-man-builds-park-stairs-for-550-irking-city-after-65-000-estimate-1.3510237
“Tome, the safety of people is more important than money,” Astl said.“So if the city is not willing to do it, I have to do it myself.”
Citybylaw officers have taped off the stairs while officials make adecision on what to do with it. However, Astl has not been chargedwith any sort of violation.
MayorJohn Tory acknowledged that the city estimate sounds “completelyout of whack with reality” on Wednesday. However, he saysthat still doesn’t justify allowing private citizens to bypass citybylaws to build public structures themselves.
“Ithink everyone will understand that it will be more than $550,” hesaid on Wednesday. “We just can’t have people decide to goout to Home Depot and build a staircase in a park because that’swhat they would like to have.”
Toryalso cited safety and accessibility issues in terms of thestaircase’s design. City inspectors have said the stairs are unsafebecause the railing is unsafe, the incline is uneven and there is nofoundation.
Themayor says his staff have been asked to revisit the project and comeup with a more realistic estimate, as the last one was based onprojects in other parks.
Arearesident Dana Beamon told CTV Toronto she’s happy to have thestairs there, whether or not they are up to city standards.
“Wehave far too much bureaucracy,” she said. “We don’t have enoughself-initiative in our city, so I’m impressed.”