[Swiftwater Gazette] Maureen Dowd Article in New York Times

Elgin Alexander elginalexander at erols.com
Thu Jan 19 20:04:55 EST 2017

In case you haven’t already read the article below, here it is.  It’s worth
a read.  Elgin

  _____

Election Therapy from My Basket of Deplorables

 The election was a complete repudiation of Barack Obama: his fantasy world
of political correctness, the politicization of the Justice Department and
the I.R.S., an out-of-control E.P.A., his neutering of the military, his
nonsupport of the police and his fixation on things like transgender
bathrooms. Since he became president, his party has lost 63 House seats, 10
Senate seats and 14 governorships.

 The country had signaled strongly in the last two midterms that they were
not happy. The Dems’ answer was to give them more of the same from a person
they did not like or trust.

 Preaching — and pandering — with a message of inclusion, the Democrats have
instead become a party where incivility and bad manners are taken for
granted, rudeness is routine, religion is mocked and there is absolutely no
respect for a differing opinion. This did not go down well in the Midwest,
where Trump flipped three blue states and 44 electoral votes.

 The rudeness reached its peak when Vice President-elect Mike Pence was
booed by attendees of “Hamilton” and then pompously lectured by the cast.
This may play well with the New York theater crowd but is considered boorish
and unacceptable by those of us taught to respect the office of the
president and vice president, if not the occupants.

 Here is a short primer for the young protesters. If your preferred
candidate loses, there is no need for mass hysteria, canceled midterms, safe
spaces, crying rooms or group primal screams. You might understand this
better if you had not received participation trophies, undeserved grades to
protect your feelings or even if you had a proper understanding of civics.
The Democrats are now crying that Hillary had more popular votes. That can
be her participation trophy.

 If any of my sons had told me they were too distraught over a national
election to take an exam, I would have brought them home the next day,
fearful of the instruction they were receiving. Not one of the top 50
colleges mandate one semester of Western Civilization. Maybe they should
rethink that.

 Mr. Trump received over 62 million votes, not all of them cast by
homophobes, Islamaphobes, racists, sexists, misogynists or any other “ists.”
I would caution Trump deniers that all of the crying and whining is not good
preparation for the coming storm. The liberal media, both print and
electronic, has lost all credibility. I am reasonably sure that none of the
mainstream print media had stories prepared for a Trump victory. I watched
the networks and cable stations in their midnight meltdown — embodied by
Rachel Maddow explaining to viewers that they were not having a “terrible,
terrible dream” and that they had not died and “gone to hell.”

 The media’s criticism of Trump’s high-level picks as “not diverse enough”
or “too white and male” — a day before he named two women and offered a
cabinet position to an African-American — magnified this fact.

Here is a final word to my Democratic friends. The election is over. There
will not be a do-over. So let me bid farewell to Al Sharpton, Ben Rhodes and
the Clintons. Note to Cher, Barbra, Amy Schumer and Lena Dunham: Your plane
is waiting. And to Jon Stewart, who talked about moving to another planet:
Your spaceship is waiting. To Bruce Springsteen, Jay Z, Beyoncé and Katy
Perry, thanks for the free concerts. And finally, to all the foreign
countries that contributed to the Clinton Foundation, there will not be a
payoff or a rebate.

As Eddie Murphy so eloquently stated in the movie 48 Hrs. “There’s a new
sheriff in town” - and he is going to be here for 1,461 days. Merry
Christmas.

  _____