[Swiftwater Gazette] On understanding Donald Trump

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Sat Jul 16 09:39:32 EDT 2016

   Gingrichcharacterization of TrumpEditedand condensed verision of
WhatNewt Gingrich Really Thinks of Donald Trumphttps://www.propublica.org/article/what-newt-gingrich-really-thinks-of-donald-trump
Ina private speech recorded in February, the onetime Speaker of theU.S. House, now reportedly on the shortlist to be Trump’s runningmate, said Trump would lose in a landslide if he didn’t evolve tobe more like Ronald Reagan than Barry Goldwater. He added that no oneknows what a Trump presidency would be like — not even Trump.
byRobert FaturechiProPublica,July 13, 2016, 11 p.m.
DonaldTrump on Friday morning picked Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as his runningmate. Read more about Pence in our reporting roundup.
NewtGingrich, a leading candidate to be Donald Trump’s running mate,told Republicans at a closed-door meeting earlier this year thatTrump is not a conservative, speaks to voters “at the lowest levelof any candidate in either party,” and could lose in a landslide ifhe didn’t significantly change his approach to campaigning.
Gingrichsuggested Trump’s move from campaigning to governing would bechallenging: “How we make the transition from, you know, languagefor fourth graders to real policy, I don’t know.”
Hiscomments came in a February speech in Washington to the RepublicanState Leadership Committee, months before he began angling to becomeTrump’s vice presidential choice.
Gingrich’sremarks, captured on a previously undisclosed recording of the speechreviewed by ProPublica, mixed admiration forTrump’s success in the primaries and skepticism aboutwhether he could prevail in a general election.
“Thisis not a guy who’s shallow or simple, but he is a guy who knows animmense amount about marketing, which is why he talks at afourth-grade level. He talks at the lowest level of any candidate ineither party, not because he’s stupid,” Gingrich said told thecrowd of executive-level political staffers and corporate sponsors.“He does it because he knows if you talk at a fourth-grade leveleverybody can understand you.”
Gingrichremained neutral in the GOP primary until May, when he endorsed Trumpand said he wouldn’t rule out joining the ticket. He met Wednesdaywith Trump in Indiana and according to CNN was seen leaving a hotelin the same motorcade as Trump’s children.
Inthe February speech, Gingrich said he had no idea what kind ofpresident Trump might be. “I do not believe anybody including Trumpcan tell you what a Trump presidency would be like,” Gingrich said.
Therecording of the speech was made available to ProPublica by theCenter for Media and Democracy, a Madison, Wisconsin, group with thestated goal of exposing corporate influences on politics. The groupsaid it obtained the recording from someone who attended the meeting.
Gingrich,a former Georgia congressman, became Speaker of the House in 1995after leading a Republican wave that captured the chamber from theDemocrats in the midterm elections during the administration of BillClinton. He left Congress in 1999 and made an unsuccessful bid forthe Republican presidential nomination in 2012.
Gingrichspoke for just over half an hour to the Republican group’s Feb. 29meeting in Washington, devoting about 10 minutes to Trump. Hiscomments were a mix of pointed criticism and awe at Trump’spolitical skills. He likened Trump’s approach to “some weirdcombination of the Kardashians” soliciting hearty laughs from theaudience. “I mean think about it, the whole tweeting, the wholecontinuous noise.”
Throughoutmuch of the talk, Gingrich praised Trump’s prowess as a politicianand negotiator, noting his success on TV, in real estate developmentand other ventures. He called him a change agent who effectively gutshis political rivals: “He’s the grizzly bear in the room. He’snot normal.”
Atone point, Gingrich suggested he was shocked to hear of a highlyeducated supporter of Trump’s. “I had a very sophisticatedmedical doctor in Des Moines write me two days ago and say he sent athousand dollar check to Trump. And I wrote back and said what areyou doing?” Gingrich said to laughs. “He said I have finallyconcluded that we have to kick over the table in Washington.”
Gingrichalso agreed with what many Republicans during the primary processfeared: “National Review’s right. DonaldTrump’s not a conservative.” Instead, Gingrich characterized himas “an American nationalist” who uses a deliberatelyunpredictable mix of hostility against “stupidity,” liberals andpolitical correctness.