[Swiftwater Gazette] How do you measure determination to win

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Thu Feb 4 06:56:04 EST 2016

  LeonidZhabotinsky, weightlifter - obituary
Weightlifterwho inspired a young Arnold Schwarzenegger
Affectionatelynicknamed “The Big Zhabo” by his fans, Zhabotinsky lived up tothe moniker in both bulk and personality. Six foot three andweighing 365lb at his peak, he had a reputation for being demandingand uncouth. Detractors called him “Zhaba”, the Russianfor toad.
Yethis crudeness masked a determination to win at any cost, and in 1963he proved his ability by setting a new world record for the snatch –lifting 363lb over his head in one continuous motion.
Zhabotinsky,meanwhile, made a great show of struggling with the weight. Hedropped it on the second attempt, and hugged Vlasov as though tocongratulate him. Then, with a casual wink to his coach, hebroke his own record on the third and final lift, hefting a total of479.5lb. The feat gave him an overall score of 1,262lblifted, against Vlasov’s 1,256.5. “I was choked with tears,”Vlasov recalled. “I flung the silver medal through the window …
Thatnight I understood that there is a kind of strength that is nothingto do with justice.”
http://romaninukraine.com/leonid-zhabotinsky-weightlifter-obituary-weightlifter-who-inspired-a-young-arnold-schwarzenegger/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12127999/Leonid-Zhabotinsky-weightlifter-obituary.html