[Swiftwater Gazette] look into the mind of 9/11’s mastermind, in his own words

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Thu Dec 1 07:01:39 EST 2016

WEDNESDAY,NOVEMBER 30, 2016

http://tartanmarine.blogspot.com/2016/11/must-read-horrifying-look-into-mind-of.html
MustRead by Robert Hall, an excerpt:
Ahorrifying look into the mind of 9/11’s mastermind, in his ownwords
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-horrifying-look-into-the-mind-of-911s-mastermind-in-his-own-words/2016/11/28/bf5827a8-b575-11e6-b8df-600bd9d38a02_story.html?utm_campaign=Jolt%2011/30/2016&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jolt&utm_term=.6ee418a62f38
Excerpt:But perhaps the most riveting part of the book is what KSM toldMitchell about what inspired al-Qaeda to attack the United States —and the U.S. response he expected. Today, some on both the left andthe right argue that al-Qaeda wanted to draw us into a quagmire inAfghanistan — and now the Islamic State wants to do the same inIraq and Syria. KSM said this is dead wrong.
Farfrom trying to draw us in, KSM said that al-Qaeda expected the UnitedStates to respond to 9/11 as we had the 1983 bombing of the Marinebarracks in Beirut — when, KSM told Mitchell, the United States“turned tail and ran.”
Healso said he thought we would treat 9/11 as a law enforcement matter,just as we had the bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya andTanzania and the USS Cole in Yemen — arresting some operatives andfiring a few missiles into empty tents, but otherwise leaving himfree to plan the next attack. “Then he looked at me and said, ‘Howwas I supposed to know that cowboy George Bush would announce hewanted us ‘dead or alive’ and then invade Afghanistan to hunt usdown?’” Mitchell writes.
“KSMexplained that if the United States had treated 9/11 like a lawenforcement matter, he would have had time to launch a second wave ofattacks.”
Hewas not able to do so because al-Qaeda was stunned “by the ferocityand swiftness of George W. Bush’s response.”
ButKSM said something else that was prophetic. In the end, he toldMitchell, “We will win because Americans don’t realize . . . we do not need to defeat you militarily; we only need to fight longenough for you to defeat yourself by quitting.”