[Swiftwater Gazette] When a bribe isn't a bribe

Ed kroposki kroposki at att.net
Sun Aug 28 06:01:55 EDT 2016

 Whena bribe isn't a bribe
Wasit corrupt for Hillary, then secretary of state, to show her
appreciation by meeting with foundation donors and making some
phonecalls on their behalf? Not according to theU.S. Supreme Court.
http://www.theweek.com/articles/645015/when-bribe-isnt-bribe
“...two months ago, the court voted 8-0 to throw out the corruption
conviction of former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, who had pocketed
about $175,000 in gifts and loans from a favor-seeking businessowner. It may be "distasteful" that the grateful McDonnellset up meetings
for the businessman, Chief Justice John Robertswrote, but it wasn't
illegal.
Tobe guilty of taking a bribe, the court ruled, an official has to
explicitly agree to perform an "official act" in exchangefor money —
that is, make a decision on some pendingmatter in his power. By this
standard, politicians have to be moronsto be convicted of corruption;
they have to get caught saying, "I'llget that policy changed, but only
if you give me money." A smartpolitician knows how to flatter donors
and connect them with otherpowerful people — to create the perception
that their money hasbought something of value — without crossing the
line. Nobody eversaid the Clintons — who've reported more than $100
million inincome since 2001 — weren't smart.